ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject RE: Incremental Compilation and ant
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:39:45 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> 1. Add the dependency analysis to Javac and perhaps a switch to decide
> whether to use it or not. This has been proposed by Vitaly Stulsky. I think
> we still need to whole source code for this proposal.
>
> 2. Add a separate dependency task which generates a dependency file. Javac
> would use that file to determine which files would need to be recompiled. I
> proposed a patch for this approach. It decouples the dependency analysis
> from the javac task
>
> 3. I think a third possible approach would be to have a dependency task
> which removes out of date files. Javac would then recompile all necessary
> files. This completely decouples the dependency analysis and action from the
> Javac task. It could presumably be used to specify arbitrary dependencies.

I also have to agree with Peter, this is a -1 for me.

This job is really the compilers.  If the compiler kept the parse tree
around then it could use the tree to determine what to incrementally
build.

I had a home grown Imake system which included dependencies and it
would invoke a javac for each indivual file that needed rebuilding.
Besides being a manual process (having to hand craft the imake files)
and being slow (30-45 minute build) it was easier to do as Peter
suggests and recompile the entire source in one go (a less than 5
minute build).

Most of the time you know the dependencies and can let ant check for
out of date files.  If you have suspicions then do a clean and
rebuild.

You could always componentize the project so that you depend upon jar
files and thus you only need to rebuild your component which is much
faster.

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech (SA) Pty Ltd                http://www.camtech.com.au
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---