ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Fennell" <tfe...@rcn.com>
Subject Available task and JDK versions
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 01:56:54 GMT
Hey All,

I was thinking about the thread about extending available to do something like:
	<available jdk="1.2" property="newer.jdk"/>

No-one seems to have picked up on this, so unless someone has already started, I'm going to
go ahead and implement this. I would
like to solicit some feedback before starting though. So, questions:

1. Is available the right place (I certainly think so)?
2. What level of detail would you find useful?

My thoughts are (based on what I would find useful) that it should be implemented as a check
on the Java spec version (1.1, 1.2
etc), not on the minor version of the implementation (e.g. 1.2.2 vs 1.2). Also that if checking
for 1.2, and jdk version 1.3 is
detected, true should be returned as this will simplify checking for 1.x or later.

Thoughts, opinions?  Would minor version detection be useful or worthwhile? Would vendor detection
(IBM 1.1.7 vs Sun 1.1.7) be
useful? Would the ability to exact match jdks vs 'version or better' checking be helpful?

Your feedback is appreciated ;)

-t