ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Yannick Menager" <>
Subject Re: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:14:14 GMT

Why can't the SDK be used ? licensing issues ? Well, in that case write the task to use the
SDK, and put it as optional...... that way if somebody wants to use it, they'll need to go
pickup the SDK....

Or even send an email to Starteam asking them for written authorisation to incorporate stargate
API into Ant... It's all in their interest, and unless some idiot lawyer gets in the way,
they'd probably allow to do that... on 10/07/2000 15:26:57

Please respond to

Subject:  Re: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?

I just give my personal opinion.

> 1) Simply use an exec task to spawn the stcmd, just as you would CVS or VSS.
Not very interesting, since most of users already have this ability.

> 2) Use the StarGate API, which would allow in-VM invocation of the client
> (it comes with the SDK) rather than an exec task.
That's it!

> Either method would require:
> a) the ant build script to search for stcmd or the SDK in the system
> PATH/CLASSPATH and either build or not build the task, since it to be an
> optional tag
Sad. But that's the only option we have. Probably, someday someone will
reverse-enginieer ST protocols and create LGPLed library...

> I am considering:
> a) Building the task as an exec task to prevent the SDK dependency
> b) Building the task as generic as possible to allow check-in,check-out,etc.
> In other words, make it mirror the command line args
> c) Later, build some additional tasks for specific check-in, check-out
> tasks.
Probably, start with c)? Simple "exec" task is already available today.
But using all the features of ST API would be really interesting.

This was just my HO...

Sergey V. Udaltsov

View raw message