ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Problem building ant with JDK1.3 modern
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:01:26 GMT

Actually, it is a topic that comes up regularly :-)

> As you suggested I have downloaded recent (5th July) source and will use
> that (it has some olther features I want anyway).
>
> BTW All the recent binaries appear to be zero length .. ? Is this
> because of the changes to the nightly builds lately? Soory if this seems
> a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to this list.

No its not a stupid question. The old nightly build process does not
bootstrap ant but simply builds ant with an existing copy of ant itself.
Normally that is OK. If, however, a new feature is introduced into ant and
immediately used in ant's own build.xml file, the old version of ant will
not be able to build the new version. This is why the old nightly build
process is failing.

Sam Ruby has introduced a new nightly build process for ant which bootstraps
ant to avoid this problem. Ant now has its own nightly build which is good.

Conor