ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Philion" <phil...@acmerocket.com>
Subject RE: Some thoughts about runtime evaluation of properties
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:58:06 GMT
Stefan -

That's a reasonable way to do it (and easy to implement), unless
someone wants to implement something like:

<property name="dist.bin.dir" value="${dist.dir}/bin"/>
<property name="dist.lib.dir" value="${dist.dir}/lib"/>
<target xyz...>
    <property name="dist.dir" value="../package1/dist"/>
</target>
<target zyx...>
    <property name="dist.dir" value="../package2/dist"/>
</target>

Note: I'm not suggesting that that is something that should be
supported, or that it is something anyone would ever use. I'm just
trying to point out potential issues.

My goal is to make ant build files as simple as possible, both the
write and understand. Immutable properties are very attractive (for
their simplicity) but they do produce problems.

- Paul