ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim McCune <t...@channelpoint.com>
Subject RE: AntHill, the GUI for Ant
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2000 05:29:23 GMT

Frederic,
Sounds like a good idea.  If you manage to come up with a DTD for
Ant, might I suggest that you check out Merlot?
(http://www.merlotxml.org)  This would take care of all of the XML
editing for you.  You could create some DTD plugins to handle things
like attribute sorting and updating dependencies automatically.  You
could create some action plugins to do stuff like "build selected
target".  I would be happy to work with you on this.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Frederic Lavigne [mailto:fred@L2FProd.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000 8:23 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: AntHill, the GUI for Ant

Hi,

I recently downloaded Ant1.1 and look at the TODO list and I notice
this
todo item:

 "* GUI front end -- examine tasks, add task properties, etc. Also,
    one button push build of a particular target."

I like doing UI (see www.L2FProd.com to understand :) ) so I'm
currently
working on AntHill, the GUI for Ant.

During this time, I encountered some problems.

1. Bugs related to sourcepath parameter in javac, javadoc task
definitions:
AFAIK, all paths used in ant must be resolved by
project.resolveFile(...).
But in Javac and Javadoc taskdefs, the srcdir and sourcepath are not
resolved. This makes the build fails if it started from a random
directory.
I didn't look at all taskdefs, maybe this happens elsewhere (rmic
task?).
For now, I create 2 tasks MyJavac and MyJavadoc and override the
setSrcdir
and setSourcepath.

2. I present task attributes in a tabular form. I would like to see
these
attributes sorted (the most commonly used first).
The simplest solution will be to sort the setter methods in the code
in the
smarter order.

3. I was looking for a DTD or schema for ant. I understand that as we
can
create new taskdefs, we should also provide the corresponding DTD. I
didn't
find any answer in the FAQ.

4. Is there a mailing list archive somewhere ?

5. AntHill is made with JDK1.2.
I will try to support JDK1.1/Swing1.1.1 but I rely on some user
interface
library I've done.
I will need to rewrite some code for JDK1.1 (remove references to
collections package for example).

6. There is no version available yet (I started AntHill on friday).
I attached a screenshot of the current development version.

7. Planned AntHill Features are:
* create/edit/remove targets, tasks (at least!)
* new project, new target from templates
* ide plugin (jbuilder, forte, cafe) ?
* drag'n drop support
* automagically update dependencies when a target is renamed

Comments, Feature Requests, Suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards,

Frederic Lavigne, fred@L2FProd.com
java software at http://www.L2FProd.com