ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Why Properties became immutable
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 03:18:25 GMT
on 7/25/00 7:18 AM, Stefan Bodewig at bodewig@bost.de wrote:

> Actually <property> already is at the same level as <target>. I now
> regret we didn't take the full swing to forbid placing them inside of
> targets.

Here's a vote for doing exactly that... properties belong as project
children only.

> If we go back to mutable properties and make the ${} expansion happen
> at runtime, this is a different issue.

Yep, and $() expansion, if it's left in, should happen at runtime as well,
even if the properties are bound to the project. This would allow another
task to mod the property (or a script to for that matter) and it take effect
immediately.

.duncan