ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Incremental mode for Ant
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 03:09:38 GMT
on 7/25/00 4:52 AM, Peter Donald at donaldp@mad.scientist.com wrote:

> At 03:09  25/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> How does incremental help out? -- in the M-x compile case that is..
>
> ouchies that must be painful compared to jde's way ..

To be honest, I don't do M-x compile anyways... I just run ant in an
external window and ctrl-G to goto line (or funny-key G depending on
platform and editor). It's *so* old-fashioned, I know.. :)

> Incremental mode is good because it doesn't have the loading of JVM
> everytime.

Right, I get that -- just trying to get the use case clear... If JDE keeps
something warmed up and ready to go, then by all means, a flag to support
looping compiles is a good thing...

Hmmmm... Or maybe just another entry point class. Instead of
org.apache.tools.ant.Main, create a org.apache.tools.ant.LoopMain which
called Main each time it was told to.

> I have no
> problem with the memorty overhead of a constantly in memory JVM but the
> startup time can be painful.

Start up times are going down I think. I used to feel that pain, but either
I've been getting used to it (I don't think so) or I'm getting faster
machines (well, yes, I am.. :)

But, by all means I'm not trying to block an obviously useful thing -- just
understand the particulars of the use case.

.duncan