ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: Using old ant.jar in build.bat?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:20:47 GMT

Jose Alberto wrote:

> - If you are a user: press 1
> - If you promise to develop code for ANT: press 2, 3, 4, 5

Try press 1 and then 2.  You can get the same Ant that non-developers have
access to, and use it to build ant.

> What is so difficult about having these few jars under CVS?

Each project is a component.  Ever wish to build upon more than one
component?  Each project including their own version of their favorite XML
parser  is the root of many evils.  With the previous And and with Tomcat
3.1, you *had* to use ProjectX.  Know what?  Most Apache projects depend on
Xerces.  Some actually even depend on specific versions (Cocoon until
recently depended on 1.0.3, it could not work with 1.0.2 or 1.0.4).  It was
a mess.  I still can't use JetSpeed, Cocoon, and PHP together due to
JetSpeed hardcoded dependencies on the internals of Cocoon1.

Back to XML parsers - I've been lobbying to get projects to support any
JAXP compliant parser, and been working to get to the point where each of
the Apache and Apache related projects can be built and used together.  If
you want to see more of my thoughts and status, see:

   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/nightly.html

Note that in my builds I use the absolute latest Xerces parser built from
CVS, after bootstrapping using JAXP.  I don't *WANT* somebody else to check
in their favorite parser.

- Sam Ruby