ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Using old ant.jar in build.bat?
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:16:42 GMT
> From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cognet.com.au]
>

> I think it is cool to include the jaxp jars in the nightly
> build but I do
> not think it is necessary to have that in CVS.
>
> For me there are two target audiences here. The first group
> is people who
> just want the ant binary to install. These people just want to use ant
> without changing it. The second group is those people who
> want to build ant
> from scratch. I think we can expect more capability from that group
> including the ability to find and install a JAXP compliant parser.
>
> I can understand the expection of one-stop shopping for the
> first group. I
> don't see, however, why there is such an expectation from the
> second group.

In other words:

- If you are a user: press 1
- If you promise to develop code for ANT: press 2, 3, 4, 5
- If you are a user but like to have the code arround: press 1 and 2
- If you trying to convice your sysadmin to use ANT: pray that he does not
want to download the surce code himself.

Does this makes any sense?
What is so difficult about having these few jars under CVS?

If the Apache experience is any good example, a lot of people
download the sources and compile them themselves even though
they have no plans what so ever of modifying the code.
Why would it be ten times more difficult for these people than
for those downloading the binaries only?

Nevermind that JAXP would be installed in a different place
depending of what method you use. (JAXP comes with its own
installation procedure that in Windowze modifies your classpath).

> Conor

Jose Alberto