ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Question re: jaxp.jar and parser.jar
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:56:10 GMT
> From: James Sieben (EUS) [mailto:EUSJASI@am1.ericsson.se]
>
> <rant>
>
> I am sorely disappointed with the manner in which "optional packages",
> "standard extensions", or just someone else's class library
> is added to my
> Java installation.
> [.....]
> The standard extension mechanism seems like it could ease
> some headaches,
> but like others have noted, having to deal with the JDK
> installation versus
> the JRE, which both have different directory trees, is silly.
> Why doesn't
> the standard JDK installation just stick the JRE binaries in
> the same place?
>
> Argh. This is one thing that really sucks about Java: it's too
> difficult/complicated to load new classes.
>
> </rant>

Has anyone successfuly played with specifying a classpath inside a jar?
I thought that was one of the innovation in JDK 1.2.
The idea being that we could call ANT by just saying:

  java -jar ant.jar [params...]

and java will look at the manifest in ant.jar to figure out the main and
what to
add to the classpath. Does this work in practice? or is it some badly
thought
useless functionality?

I may try to experiment with it. If no one has tried.

Jose Alberto