ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Using old ant.jar in build.bat?
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:03:49 GMT
> From: Andrew B. Sudell [mailto:asudell@acm.org]
> rubys@us.ibm.com writes:
>  >
>  > Tim Fennell wrote:
>  > >
>  > > I'm wondering is, after bootstrapping ant why does the build.bat
>  > > file have this line:
>  > >    for %%i in ($ANT_HOME%\lib\*.jar) do call lcp.bat %%i
>  > > which puts the *old* jar(s) into the classpath.
>  >
>  > This places *all* the jars in the %ANT_HOME%\lib directory into the
>  > classpath.  This would include, for example, the JAXP or
> Xerces jar files.
>  >
> Where/how should people deploy JAXP, Xerces, or whatever parser they
> use?
>
> Personally, I think that's outside of the scope of ant, though there's
> no reason to make it more difficult for people than it has to
> be.  Ant
> (and the rest of jakarta) probably shouldn't distribute them, nor
> assume they are deployed inside them. I happen to put them in my
> CLASSPATH.

I disagree with this. Without JAXP ANT cannot function.
Today, there is a strong dependency here and I think ANT should ship
functional code. I do not think one needs to go into a "shopping"
internet spree in order to get all the parts for ANT to work.

I believe on one stop shopping. The JDK itself is a different mater since
this is hardware/OS dependent.

If we want easy adoption, we should provide a binary release that is
fuctional as is. Of course optional tasks are a diferent matter, that is why
they are optional.