ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Boehle <jboe...@tidestone.com>
Subject OFFTOPIC: a very good debugger
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:47:44 GMT
I thought I would forward this along.  Over the past month or so, it has
been my experience that most Java developers are unhappy with the debuggers
they use (or just the tools in general), so I figured that finding a good
stand-alone debugger was worth sharing...

The link is in the original mail at the bottom of the reply chain.

Jason Boehle
jboehle@tidestone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Boehle
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 10:44 AM
To: 'Hall, John'
Subject: RE: EjbJar parameters

John,

I too was displeased with VA, Metamata, and all of the IDE debuggers I
tried.

Yes, we have been using it for over a month now (since the beta2 version).
All of the developers using it (about half the team) love it.  Yes, it may
not be as fast as a native application, but it seems to be a very robust
product, so I can live with it.  For example, we have a function that
contains a HUGE switch statement.  Neither the Cafe or CodeWarrior debuggers
could step into that function without crashing; BugSeeker can.  BugSeeker
does not require any debug info above and beyond what the Sun javac
generates.  Another feature of BugSeeker is the ability to debug apps
running in a remote JVM.  For example, you could run WebLogic under a JVM
with JPDA support, passing in the correct command-line parameters, therefore
allowing BugSeeker to connect and debug EJBs remotely in their native
runtime environment!  I am very happy with the support of the product.  I
have posted several issues and feature requests on their support forums, and
almost always have received a response in a few hours.  My biggest concern
is WHY are they only charging $195? =)

Jason Boehle
jboehle@tidestone.com