ant-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Vaughn <rvau...@seaconinc.com>
Subject Re: Why Properties became immutable
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:40:08 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  RV> So, I would suggest these things: - If the property task is to
>  RV> remain a taskdef, evaluate it at runtime, with mutability and all
>  RV> that entails.  Otherwise, change the DTD to clarify - perhaps
>  RV> elevate property defs to parallel target defs (which leaves room
>  RV> for NO misunderstanding).
>
> Actually <property> already is at the same level as <target>. I now
> regret we didn't take the full swing to forbid placing them inside of
> targets.
>
> If we go back to mutable properties and make the ${} expansion happen
> at runtime, this is a different issue.
>
> Stefan

Oh, obviously I didn't realize that.  I have to agree (in retrospect) with
your regret.

Well, everyone breathe a sigh of relief.  I think I've been enough of a
pest now and my opinions have been heard, like 'em or not.  (And I don't
expect everyone to agree, honestly.)  I'm gonna let this die for now.
Thanks for listening.

roger