ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <Sergey.Udalt...@ru.artificial-life.com>
Subject Re: subsitution in file names
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 14:28:22 GMT
> well I bet everything included in make was adding usability for someone at
> a certain time and that turned into a mamoth monster which is not what Ant
> wants to become :P
I suspect the main make problem is not its size and power but
unmodularity. Introducing the concept of "tasks" to ant was the really
bright idea. So, I guessed, the keyword is not size but modularity and
extensibility.
Unfortunately, substitution cannot be performed using standard existing
extension means (tasks) that is why I asked about it. Now I see the
perspective in this area:(

Also small questions:

The Rmic task always uses rmic. But there is also jiffyc - much faster
tool. Probably, some property a la "build.compiler" should be
introduced. Same question about jar and fastjar pair.

Using jikes with 1.2 is somewhat tricky because it requires standard
java jars in CLASSPATH (or JIKESPATH). How this issue is handled when
build.compiler = jikes?

--
Sergey V. Udaltsov
svu@ru.artificial-life.com