ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Why Properties became immutable
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:25:20 GMT
At 09:13  24/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>It's precisely *because* make is so purely declarative that most
programmers I know
>refuse to touch it.  It has nothing to do with spaces-before-tabs or other
syntactic
>oddities, and everything to do with the fact that they have spent years
getting
>indoctrinated to procedural and OO thinking, and therefore feel that
learning to think
>declaratively is just too difficult.
>
>I sincerely hope Ant can cover new ground - not simply rehash the old a
new way.

I am so so so dead against this it is not funny and I believe (hope?) that
the Ant commiters are with me on this. Procedural thinking is good when the
problem is procedural and the problem space is well defined. I have worked
on a number of projects where this wasn't the case but and we did things
procedurally anyway. When it came to using the project we detected the bug
and found I had to rework vast proportions of code due to this bug. Even
worse was when upgraded API - 90% of old code broke because it relied on
previous assumptions.

The reason that I dislike using is because of the complex dependancy tree.
When a make dependancy is evaluated you have to think a lot to determine
where the rule came from. Is it from a default rule or perhaps one of those
overly complex reg-exs you wrote and yet bairly understand, or maybe yet
still it is one of those mutable macros you defined - or perhaps you are
including a MACRO library and it is in there or ..... Tabs etc are painful
but usually fairly obvious. Hence I rarely have a problem with them.

Ant on the other hand makes everything explicit and puts all the complex
details in tasks. Hence virtually anyone can read an Ant build file
straight of without even really understanding ant. Can you say the same
about make ?

Cheers,

Pete