ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Compilation and ant
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:26:54 GMT
At 03:50  21/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Warning: this is a long message...

It was wasn't it :P. Your analysis is correct and was actually very similar
to what I do with c files. The problem is that it is way overhead for
decent compilers (ie jikes). Jikes does exactly what you said already
(except without intermediate .dep files) so you would be duplicating work.
Jikes is also much much much much more efficient than any thing you can
write (no offense) - I believe it even makes sure it doesn't hit the
filesystem in a bad way I believe.

My question remains - why create a massive workaround for crappy compilers
when you already have a very very very fast compiler that does it for you.
Integrating this into javac task is just penalising the decent compiler and
hiding faults of bad compilers.

Cheers,

Pete