ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: Controling the environment for exec tasks
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:08:12 GMT
At 05:03  16/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>would rather pile up the env string (which should look like "key=value" for
>example, as in bash).
>So it would look like <exec ..... env="key1=value1" env="key2=value2" />.

Wouldn't work in general case.

>Next, I would look better if it was rather like :
><exec ...>
>	<env key="k1" value="v1"/>
>	<env key="k2" value="v2"/>
></exec>

Much better. The problem I see is that that means all tasks will be forced
to go through an antRun.[bat|sh] which is a overhead (2 processes rather
than 1) and also may limit on win32 systems that I believe can only take 10
parameters in batch files.

The only *general* solution I can think of is to write scripts that read
from standard in to get environment/other parameters/executable name. Then
change the java code to write stuff to standard in with certain seperators.
Ugly - hell yes. Workable ? I guess so.

Cheers,

Pete