ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: Question re: jaxp.jar and parser.jar
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:50:22 GMT
At 07:47  10/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Constantly futzing with extremely long classpaths is just gross. Every time
>I go to run a project that uses "external" JARs, I scream because I have to
>set up classpaths and such. WHY can't the JVM ALWAYS know the classpath to
>the system classes (java.*, the standard classes?) I don't understand why
>settiing -classpath should make the stupid JVM forget where to find the
>important classes. It just plain sucks.

try java 1.2/1.3 that does what you want

>The standard extension mechanism seems like it could ease some headaches,

lots pain - suffering. At least if you have a number of java applications.
A lot of java applications I know of bundle a seperate jre for each
application just to make sure that this aint a issue ! Many a time I've had
to shuffle jars in out and about extension classpath due to version clashes
etc.

It is basically the java version of library mayhem or dll hell (depending
on you OS) and should be avoided at all costs.

Cheers,

Pete