ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: Recent logging aint emacs friendly
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 16:26:14 GMT
At 11:13  8/7/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
>> I have also been thinking that a PI that sets the formatter maybe a good
>> idea. Currently I run all my ant output through awk to rewrite
>> "build/src/"
>> to "src/main" again to make it emacs friendly. Because then when you click
>> goto error it goes to error in original source rather than in src that has
>> been copied into build sub-directory. Is it worth making this a seperate
>> Logger ?
>>

>Is this an issue when building ant or other projects. Why is the source
>being
>copied at all?

I don't know why it is done but it seems to be done in all apache projects.
I was under impression it was because some os doesn't support timestamps
well or kept locking files or some other reason. The result is that all src
files are usually copied to build/src and then compiled from there. I
noticed a few complaints from people when I didn't imitate this with my own
stuff because sometimes it wont rebuild dependancies properly. So I guess
it has something to do with that ????

Thus when a error occurs it occurs in
build/src/com/company/file.java and not src/com/company/file.java. Hence
when I hit the emacs key that takes you straight to line with error it
takes me to wrong copy and a few times I have lost everything as i hit
compile and the one in build/src gets copied over from src/

Cheers,

Pete