ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: WIBNI for Javac Task
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:31:40 GMT
At 09:53  4/7/00 +0930, you wrote:
>Forgive my persistence, and it's been a while since I hacked through
>this code, but I thought ant decided which files to recompile _before_
>passing them on to javac (at least for the classic compiler). I was
>under the impression that it found all the source files specified,
>worked out where they would end up (this bit may be a bit wonky if
>your directory structure doesn't match, I guess) and compared
>timestamps. Then if it needed recompiling, the file found it's way to
>the javac command line. Isn't this the way it works? Or is my view of
>the world going to be torn apart? ;-)

you got it right but the all javac's and jikes cmds also do the same
checking in their own code and redo everything based on input. (Thou Javac
does it in a wonky way). For instance in  every package I used to have a
file like

public class PackageList
{
  public final static Class MyClass_class = MyClass.class;
  public final static Class MyClass2_class = MyClass2.class;
  public final static Class MyClass3_class = MyClass3.class;
}

Everytime I compiled Package list it would compile all files changed in
that package.

Cheers,

Pete