ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Inheritance of project's targets.
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:23:05 GMT
At 09:06  3/7/00 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi :
>
>I was wondering if there is such a feature in the current build version??

I don't think so but I am not 100% sure of what you mean. You mean
something like a xslt include/import type thing ? In which case not exactly
- but there is the ant task that can be useful as a replacement. Check out
the documentation. As for inheritance of rules like in make no there isn't
and I guess a lot of people don't want there to be :P

Which rasies an interesting issue. What does every one think of target
templates ? By this I mean you have a generic target for something like
apidocs and compile and package etc. You then parse parameters into these
templates that specify actual relevant parameters.

ie by default templated apidocs target will doc all packages in src
directory and place in destination directory. This would mean relatively
"standard" package layouts could write build files in ~30 lines. Very
simple too.

Then again it reduces the conceptual clarity of ant which may be a bad
thing. Anyway just a odd thought :P

Cheers,

Pete