ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ernst de Haan <er...@jollem.com>
Subject Re: Recent logging aint emacs friendly
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 14:15:11 GMT
Hi Conor && all,

<snip>
> Option 1 boils downs to a single logger class which has two behaviours
> controlled by the command line parameter.
>
> Option 2 is 2 logger classes with separate behaviours.
</snip>

I would prefer the first option, because:

   * I expect this to be `cleaner'
   * I believe it is realistic that different logging formats are
     requested in the future, like XML.

We can start by refactoring the existing code to factor the logging
stuff out and put it in a separate class. At the same time we can think
about a generic interface or abstract superclass.

Perhaps we can introduce one extra subclassing layer, so both the
emacs-friendly and the standard logger can derive from the same class
and only have to do very little to get the behaviour they require.

Ernst