ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Sieben (EUS)" <EUSJ...@am1.ericsson.se>
Subject RE: Question re: jaxp.jar and parser.jar
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:47:16 GMT
<rant>

I am sorely disappointed with the manner in which "optional packages",
"standard extensions", or just someone else's class library is added to my
Java installation.

Constantly futzing with extremely long classpaths is just gross. Every time
I go to run a project that uses "external" JARs, I scream because I have to
set up classpaths and such. WHY can't the JVM ALWAYS know the classpath to
the system classes (java.*, the standard classes?) I don't understand why
settiing -classpath should make the stupid JVM forget where to find the
important classes. It just plain sucks.

The standard extension mechanism seems like it could ease some headaches,
but like others have noted, having to deal with the JDK installation versus
the JRE, which both have different directory trees, is silly. Why doesn't
the standard JDK installation just stick the JRE binaries in the same place?

Argh. This is one thing that really sucks about Java: it's too
difficult/complicated to load new classes.

</rant>

Jimmy Sieben
jimmy.sieben@ericsson.com

Ericsson Texas R&D