ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Vitaly Stulsky" <>
Subject Re: WIBNI for Javac Task
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:02:44 GMT
> The issue is that Erich's directory structure does not match his package
> structure. I am not sure this is a good idea. When javac (the tool, not
> task) is compiling a class and it cannot find a class upon which the
> class depends, it attempts to find a source file, mapping the package
> structure to the sourcepath. Have a look at "SEARCHING FOR TYPES" in the
> Javac documentation. In all our projects, our source directory structure
> package structure match.
I've thought about this problem too. From my point of view it is neccesssary
add sourcepath attribute to the javac taskdef. I've done it for my local
version of ant.
There are few benefits:
1) it is possible to enumerate not all files in one direcory, but select
necessary packages
from it and compile them (e.g. we had some kind of utility classes
repository and I
included packages from this repository into my project, cause I didn't need
all utility
classes in my final distribution).
2) it's easy to locate class file even if user specify 'incorrect' path to
sources (e.g he/she
specifies path not to the first package 'org', but to directory under the
first package 'org').

Any ideas?

Do You Yahoo!?