ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: Release?
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:29:25 GMT
> Hi,
>
> are we ready for a release or is there still something missing that
> really must be included?

Lets go for it. I think any version of ant we release now will be a huge
update to the version released with Tomcat and that is what a lot of people
seem to have been using.

> I'd propose to call it *1.1* since many people refer to the version
> that shipped with Tomcat 3.1 as Ant 1.0.8 - so 1.0 might be
> misleading.

Agreed. I don't know where 1.08 came from :-).

> How are we going about to put the release together? Tag all sources,
> change the version property in build.xml and the version text in
> docs/index.html - that's clear but what else?

Perhaps we should be using a replace or Keysubst on these files in the
build.xml.

> I noticed that a bootstraped version built with JDK 1.1 one run on 1.2
> (both Blackdown's latest versions for Linux) - message is
>
> java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
> org/apache/tools/ant/ProjectHelper$TaskHandler, method: init
> signature: (Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/xml/sax/AttributeList;)V)
> Illegal use of nonvirtual function call

Same thing with Sun JDKs on NT.

> while it works the other way around so the release should probably be
> compiled using 1.2 (or later?).

I would be happy to build with 1.3

> How about the optional tasks? Are we going to distribute a version
> with all optional tasks compiled in - did the version that shipped
> with Tomcat include script?

I think we should not include optional tasks in the binary distribution. In
the future we should be able to have task jars or taskset jars. We could
then provide some of these, such as the script task as an installable
component, with the binary distribution. For now lets stick to the core.