ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Path.java update
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:09:32 GMT
Your attachment has an interesting MIME type
(application/x-unknown-content-type-visualcafefile.document) haven't
seen something like this before 8^). Must be Windows I guess.

 TH> Simplyfied translatePath method. DOS path detection changes:
 TH> detection is only done, when PathSeparator is ";". It only checks
 TH> for the second character being ":".

I'm not sure this is a good thing. First you'd better check for
PathSeparator being not ':' instead of equals ';'.

I've forgotten what VMS uses as a Path separator - too long ago - but
it does have (logical) drive names separated from the rest of the
filename by a : - and the drive name was anything but limited to one
character BTW.

The ; separated the version of a file from the rest of the filename so
I doubt they would use ; as a separator.

In the common case - i.e. Unix, Windows and Mac - your assumptions are
correct but there are different beasts out there that could be better
suited by the older version.

 TH> * New translateFile method

For completeness? You could simply call translatePath for single
filenames as well, couldn't you?

 TH> we should decide on the translatePath method, as there is another
 TH> in Project.

Yes, there are some other helper methods that don't really belong into
Project (copyFile and toBoolean) and Path seems a far more natural
place for the translate methods.

 TH> May the functionality could be placed in a object of its
 TH> own. Maybe even in a way to allow people to replace the
 TH> implementation of translateFile/Path with their own.

Don't think we would gain much from this flexibility. IMHO it's
overkill but I could live with it.

Stefan