ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Delete.java Deltree.java
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:28:47 GMT

 CM> I didn't bother to see what File.delete returns. Would that be
 CM> preferable?

If delete can tell us that anything went wrong, we don't need to check
ourselves. Yes I'd prefer it (but can't check right now whether it'd
work. No Windows for me at the moment).

 CM> File.delete seems an unusual method to effectively return an
 CM> error code. If it didn't delete the thing, it should have thrown
 CM> an exception, IMHO.

You are perfectly right. File.mkdir(s) belongs into the same category
as well as File.createNewFile, renameTo, setLastModified and
setReadOnly. There are lots of questionable design decissions in
java.io.File.

Stefan