ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:04:15 GMT
>>>>> "sr" == rubys  <rubys@us.ibm.com> writes:

 sr> In Ant's case, the "start simple, grow fast" approach would be to
 sr> simply state that a project can be as simple as a list of tasks.

I really like the simplicity of your approach - as my own first
build files all followed a linear pattern that could have been
expressed without any targets. I feel my opposition against tasks on
the same level as targets fade a little.

So the case where there are no targets at all is easy to understand
and describe.

Given

<project default="a" ...>
  <task1 />

  <target name="a">
    <task2 />
  </target>

  <task3 />
</project>

would the user expect task3 to be executed before task2 - as it would
be if I understood the idea of tasks outside of targets correctly?

Stefan