ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:06:33 GMT

 PD> At 10:35 20/6/00 +0200, you wrote:

 >> 1. Don't treat properties as tasks at all. Don't even say they are
 >> tasks in the documentation.
 >> 2. Do the same for taskdefs.

 PD> Thou don't see why the properties/taskdefs don't get treated
 PD> exactly like tasks

The most obvious reason is that task are not allowed outside of
targets (and this is one thing I really want to keep). This would mean
that properties and taskdefs had to go into a target probably named

You might not know this but there has been some confusion some months
back. First property behaved as it does now, then it was forced to be
inside a target (and many build files were changed to reflect this)
then there were a lot of complaints and it was changed back. I don't
want to add another iteration to this.

My primary reason is another thing though. To me tasks "do something",
they provide some kind of external action to get the project
built. Property and Taskdef are somewhat different, they change Ant
internals, they decide _how_ a project gets built. Therefore they are
not tasks to me.

Maybe this is some kind of private philosophical distinction without
any meaning to others, I wouldn't vote against treating them as tasks
even if I feel the are not tasks.

View raw message