ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Maclean <da...@cm.co.za>
Subject RE: Rmic patch
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:09:18 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> David,
>
> I had a very quick look at it. My initial reaction was that you might like
> to consider reworking it as a MatchingTask which is the standard way that
> ant handles processing multiple files. Now that Stefan has committed the
> includesfile patch, you would be able to use the file approach as well.
>
> It is however, not so simple since rmic deals with classnames and
> MatchingTask deals with files. It is possible to convert between the two and
> has been considered in the past. Below is an excerpt from that discussion.
>
> What do you think?

I did think about using MatchingTask to pick out classes to process. There
is a slight complication in that Rmic works on classes and to determine
whether a class needs to be rmic'd, a check for an implements
java.rmi.Remote. This can be done by introspection. I was not quite sure
of the best way to handle it. When doing a match on a directory I think
that it should be the directory of the classes, but I do not think that
the directory of the classes will be in the classpath. I was having a
similar problem on another project with the build classes not being in the
classpath unless explicitly added to the shell script/batch file. It is
rather messy when writing a task that operates on classes. Another thing
is that Rmic complains if given a class that does not implement
java.rmi.Remote