ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Philion" <phil...@acmerocket.com>
Subject Problems with using .ant.properties file
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:15:20 GMT
Greetings -

I'm playing around with Ant (I finally have some time) and I've come
across a little bug:

There seem to be some problems setting properties in the
~/.ant.properties file.

Looking at the code, this would seem to be a problem using *any*
external properties file, due to the way that Property.addProperties()
is written.

addProperties() checks if the property is null before setting it. So
you can't override a property that is already set.

Is this the intended behavior? If so, what the point of including the
~/.ant.properties in the build.xml file? Specifically, I'm trying to
override the build.compiler property to be "jikes".

Also, what is the significance of normal properties verses "user
properties"? There is a bit of code that checks it, but the flag is
only set once (in Ant.java) and it doesn't smell very good.

- Paul Philion