ant-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Nazarenko <KNazare...@BlueRipple.com>
Subject RE: JUnit task and friends
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:09:48 GMT
Hi,
I agree that testing against jar files does not work. But as I know the
main idea of JUnit (according to Creators) is to run ALL test at the
same time at least once a day. So QA person could run the test and
analyze (using output information) what class has failed.

Again, Imagine situation when QA department is small or not present at
all and developers are creating Test classes by themselves. I think it
is reasonable to have a bunch of Test classes rather then one BIG Test
suite.

So probably it is reasonable to create more abstract JUnitTask and then
couple of more specific?

Thanks,
Konstantin

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Haas [mailto:thomas.haas@softwired-inc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 10:33 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: JUnit task and friends

conor@m64.com (Conor MacNeill) wrote:

> JUnit has its own concept for handling collections for tests, namely
suites.
> Do we want to overlap that?

I can see, that it may be handy to run all tests defined in classes
named Test*. This would be **/Test*. If others like it, it could be
done. I do not like it for myself because:
- Testing and QA are tightly coupled, and QA wants to know EXACTLY which

tests are run.
- Our tests usually run against jar files (QA wants to know exactly
which clas, which version), so matching does not work in its current
incarnation.

- tom

> --
> Conor MacNeill
> Home: conor@m64.com
> Work: conor@cortexebusiness.com.au

ANT.
> So I have a suggestion concerning Thomas?s realization of JUnitTask. I
think
> it will be very helpful to derive JUnitTask   from MatchingTask (not
from
> Task). It will give us the possibility to specify what files we are
going to
> test.
> For example: we have a bunch of test classes, lets say _t*.class.
Using
> MatchingTask it is possible to perform recursive, automated ANT TEST
through
> the entire tree of classes.
>
> Is this idea worth to work out or is it already implemented in some
other
> way?
>
> Thanks,
> Konstantin.

The
> development got stuck due to the current discussion about the future
design
> of ant. The JUnit task needs a proposal to replace Exec with a more
> extensible and reusable version offering various other feattures (see
> OExec.java).
>

> NOTE
> - This version writes the output to RUNNING-TEST-<testname>.xml. The
file is
> renamed to TEST-<testname>.xml on success and ERROR-<testname>.xml on
> failure. This has been done to be compatible with our old, makefile
based
> build system and will be obsolete, once the backends are converted to
XML.