ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Brill Pappin" <john.pap...@jmonkey.com>
Subject RE: Platform independent classpath in build.xml?
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:44:16 GMT

[...]
> > Right... ok... so basically you say that ":" is the ant path
> separator...
> > this is what I want to hear... however my point still stands
> that it might
> > not be obvious to someone who has never seen a unix style path
> > separator...
> > like myself (who does use unix btw) they are first going to try
> and use a
> > comma, because most other lists in Ant use them. Its a natural
> assumption.
> >

> Fair point, but it could be addressed with appropriate documentation.
>
> Actually I once proposed a patch for multiple source dirs using
> commas as a
> separator. I can paraphrase the reactions as
> 1. comma is a valid filename character on some platforms (RCS files)
> 2. all delimited strings are bad and we should use XML element structuring
> 3. It should have been ':'

Yes, I see your point... a comma might cause a problem, and you can't
*maybe* parse the comma if a comma would not cause a problem, because then
its not cross platform.

> In particular, Thomas' classpath structuring falls into the second camp. I
> think that is useful but I also find delimited strings concise
> and natural.
> The full XML expression can be a little verbose.

I'd agree... an XML structure might be nice, but I like the simplicity of a
single string.

> Thoughts?

I don't like it, but I guess its the best solution for the moment... the
fact is that you can't know what chars will be used in a path, for every
system... (in windows its possible to create file names with illegal chars
in them). As far as I can see it would be best to use one char across the
board that is rarely seen in a file name, and allow it to be escaped in the
odd case it must be used (the only place you ever have the problem is in a
path list).

- Brill Pappin