ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/com/oreilly/servlet MailMessage.java
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:58:58 GMT
on 6/25/00 5:05 PM, Conor MacNeill at conor@cortexebusiness.com.au wrote:

> I find that a strange statement. Optional tasks are not assumed to be less
> meritorious, IMHO. As I have viewed optional tasks, it is simply assumed
> that not every ant user will have the necessary packages installed on their
> system for those tasks to compile. So I do view optional tasks as a system
> for making tasks available where a package may or may not be present.

I don't think that compilation issues are the only reason to make optional
tasks. I *don't* want to see every possible task in the core, just the ones
that make sense for 80% of folks.

> For me, one of the important issues will become change management of this
> code. Will there be restrictions on making changes to this code in the ant
> source tree? If not, how will you stop them diverging? If changes are
> allowed, how will they be kept in sync with your source tree?

This is where just having a jar file with a pointer back to Jason's site
would help -- one authoritative source tree that's obvious.

.duncan