ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:49:02 GMT
on 2000/06/23 04:04, rubys@us.ibm.com at rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Would the target have to preceed the taskdef in the XML?  Or is he proposal
> to revert back to DOM and not instantiate tasks before they are used?  Are
> there limitations on what tasks may be used in tasks specified as targets
> of a taskdef?  Or am I missing something?

DOM, no. Not necessarily. I think JDOM would work just fine, as would some
private tree built up from a SAX source (or even a little mini parser that
pretty much only understood '<' and '>' and the relatively simple semantics
of the build file so that we could slice our pre-build dependancy on any
particular parser.. but I'm only slightly serious about that and mostly
joking.. :)

But yes, the more we go around, the more that I think that instantiation and
initialization of tasks is definitly a deferred thing.

> My feeling is that while this may be "purer" in some abstract sense, it
> will be harder to explain.  Given a choice, I would prefer something that
> is easy to understand.

I'll go for pure as long as it can be explained in a parapgraph of good
docs. I'm hesitant to go for expediency. It's a fine line obviously. :)

.duncan