ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:46:47 GMT
on 2000/06/21 17:10, rubys@us.ibm.com at rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> .duncan wrote:
>>
>> Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>>> I can think of one thou it is a very strong good reason :P. The
>>> optional Scripting tasks deals with objects directly from what
>>> I saw but it could be re-morphed to deal with some abstract
>>> TaskElement structureI assume
>>
>> No need for the acutal tasks to be created in order for a scripting
>> model to work.
>
> Peter is right.
>
> Calling a script isn't of much value unless it can interact with its
> environment.  In this case, the environment is Ant itself.

Right, and I agree with that. I was just saying that the task instance
didn't have to be created, just the representation of the runtime tree that
is used to configure the tasks right before they run.

> What I had done with the script task was to make the project, targets,
> properties, and any element with an "id" attribute available for direct
> manipulation by the script.

Sounds about right, but you're the scripting guy.. :) I'm out of practice,
though I've been playing with Ecmascript again lately.

.duncan