ant-dev mailing list archives

From gle...@ca.ibm.com
Subject RE: build/release process spec?
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2000 14:28:23 GMT

1.  I think there was a patch put out on this list a couple of weeks ago to
add an option to the Zip task for storing files.  I had written my own
before the patch was published, so I never made use of it.  Anyone care to
repost the patch for Ron?

2.  There is no DTD for the Ant build file format.  The attributes of the
default tasks changes often enough that this would probably be a pain to
maintain.  Also, you would have to give up the <taskdef ../> task in favour
of using an internal subset.  So your project file would look something
like

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE project SYSTEM "ant.dtd" [
<!ELEMENT custom_task>
<!ATTLIST custom_task
source CDATA #REQUIRED
doit (yes|no) "yes">
]>

<project ... >
  <!-- This would be considered valid... -->
  <custom_task source="/build/blah" doit="no" />

  <!-- So would this... -->
  <custom_task source="/build/blah2" />

  <!-- This is not valid, but is well formed... -->
  <custom_task source="/build/blah3" some_silly_attribute="yaddayaddayadda"
/>
</project>

I'm not sure that at this state of the game, we really need valid build.xml
files.  Well-formed files let us change the code behind ant without having
to also update the DTD.  Comments anyone?

3.  I haven't found any other sources of info, but I haven't been looking
that hard.

Glenn McAllister
TID - Software Developer - VisualAge for Java
IBM Toronto Lab, (416) 448-3805

hello all!

well, i've tried finding my questions in the archive, but found the
email-interface a bit... um... "slow" i guess is the kindest word i can say
for it (anyone considered creating an Web-based archive of the list?).

anyway, my questions are this:
1. is there any way to specify "0-compression" with the <jar> tag?  (i'm
betting the answer is "no" looking at the docs, so the next question is is
<exec> the only option, other than writing a <jar0> task handler?)

2. is there a dtd out there somewhere for the Ant xml format? (dtd's are
finally getting easier to read than written descriptions for me - maybe i'm
starting to understand this XML stuff after all!)

3. is jakarta.apache.org/ant the best/only place for Ant info?

thanks.