ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:06:53 GMT

Stefan wrote:

> I really like the simplicity of your approach - as my own first
> build files all followed a linear pattern that could have been
> expressed without any targets. I feel my opposition against tasks
> on the same level as targets fade a little.

I just hope that this is not because I am wearing you down!  ;-)

> So the case where there are no targets at all is easy to
> understand and describe.

Agreed.

> Given
>
> <project default="a" ...>
>   <task1 />
>
>   <target name="a">
>     <task2 />
>   </target>
>
>   <task3 />
> </project>
>
> would the user expect task3 to be executed before task2 - as it
> would be if I understood the idea of tasks outside of targets
> correctly?

For now, I would suggest we keep it simple: only allow tasks to appear
before or inside of targets.  There is no loss in functionallity, and it
would tend to keep the build.xml files more readible.  If there is a need
for this later, we can certainly relax the restriction easily enough.
Pseudo-dtd:

   <!ELEMENT project (task*, target*)>

- Sam Ruby