ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: A question about "available" and doing conditionals in a build xml file.
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:35:25 GMT

duncan wrote:
> I still think that conditional compilation can be handled inside the
> javac task. :)

It is...take a look at the build.xml for ant.  I don't believe that
conditional compilation can or should be automagic based on the source,
developers need some way of expressing what is required vs what is
optional.  Today that is done with nested exclude tags.

Perhaps we should deprecate the if= attribute on tasks.  Contrast the
cocoon1 build.xml (which is based on conditional tasks) with the cocoon2
build.xml (which is based on excludes on the javac task) in terms of
clarity and maintainability.

- Sam Ruby