ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:30:03 GMT

> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bost.de]
>
>  sr> Are there limitations on what tasks may be used in tasks
>  sr> specified as targets of a taskdef?
>
> The depends attribute should specify a target, not a task. The
> specified target may include any task and would be invoked implicitly
> before any other target. At least that's how I've understood Matt's
> idea.

A more uniform rule would be to just require that the dependent
target needs to be invoked before the task is used for the first time.
This may give a better general solution when you have multiple taksdefs
with depends.

Actually, by defining things this way, you can transform the dependencies
of taskdefs into dependencies on the targets using those taksdefs. So
for example:
  <taskdef name="aaa" ... depends="bbb"/>
  <target name="ccc" depends="ddd">
	<aaa ..../>
  </target>

will be logically transformed into:
  <taskdef name="aaa" ... />
  <target name="ccc" depends="ddd, bbb">
  </terget>

This means that one can use the same dependency ordering
algorithm as before, and it should be very easy to explain.
It also means that you only go thru those dependencies if
the target that use that task are needed.