ant-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Haas <thomas.h...@softwired-inc.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Exec.java
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:23:45 GMT
mariusz@marni.otago.ac.nz (Mariusz Nowostawski) wrote:

> tom,
>
> could you elaborate how functionality of Exec being a Matching Task can be
> achieved without Exec being a Matching Task? I mean 'how you can see it'..
>
> Is such functionality necessary? I believe so. In my personal case, from
> "real life" I can give you straight away three examples, in all of those I
> use modified Exec which appends all matching files as last argument to the
> exec'ed executable call, as parameters of the call:

I think we agree and therefor deleted your explanation, why the two
should available. To me the exec funtionality should be used instead of
inherited. Doing so other tasks neither being Exec nor MatchingTask but
something else can profit.

I even beleive all functionality should be implemented outside of task
classes. Task classes should access the functions through uses
relations. This would ease reuse of code.

Part of the framework is written and is almost ready to be committed.
You will find some in another mail just send to the list.

- tom