ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <jhun...@acm.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit:.... MailMessage.java
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:40:29 GMT
> I think optional packages are just as important as core packages, but one
> thing I'd like to just insert in this discussion is that emailing a message
> does not seem to me to be something that should be included as a core
> taskdef.  It makes more sense to include this as an optional taskdef because
> it does not increase the runtime requirements ( See Duncan's spec doc at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-ant/spec/core.html?rev=1.
> 1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup ).

So the question is, "Is it better to keep Ant's dependencies on external
JAR files to a minimum, or is it better to provide a set of core tasks
that can be relied upon to work the same across all build machines?"  I
choose the latter.  If there's a small freely redistributable JAR that
enables a task worthy of being core, I'd like to see it included.  If
it's large JAR or not freely redist, but the task is still important,
then as a last resort we make it an optional task.

> Further down that road, I don't think that the Ant project should contain
> any code that deals specfically with sending email when there is an
> established and widely embraced standard in JavaMail. We could reimplement
> this under APL in the future,

How annoying.  This increases my belief that an open source project
(such as Perl) has more right to be called an "open standard" than a JCP
standard where there isn't a freely redistributable implementation (as
appears to be the case with JavaMail) and where bugs can't be fixed
without legal implications.

-jh-