ant-dev mailing list archives

From Marius Scurtescu <mar...@multiactive.com>
Subject ANT feature
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:26:05 GMT
Hi all,

I have a basic ANT question.

Is it possible to execute a target only if it is
outdated? That is only if one of the files it depends
on is newer than the target file (assuming the target
is a file). How would I do that in ANT?

You don't have to worry about this if you compile
Java source code, the compiler will take care of
it, but there are other Java and non-Java tools
out there that are not that smart.

I am using JavaCC and JJTree, parser generators, and
these tools will not compare the time stamps of the
input grammar and existing output files.

I know, I can write my own task to handle this, but
this is an elementary feature of makefiles. In my
opinion the presence of this feature will influence
the general acceptance of ANT as a replacement for
make.

Thanks,
Marius

--