ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre, Sebastian" <spie...@Rational.Com>
Subject Re: DTD for build.xml files?
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:31:36 GMT

> One thing that I always thought would be fun to do, but haven't gotten
> around to doing it would be to write a task which introspected the tasks
> and produced a DTD that could be used.  Ant, of course, would have no use

Yes, this could be a great thing. You could althoug make a modular DTD :
 - A core entity, with the common tasks
 - An extention entity, that would include every third-party tasks.

BTW, there should be a way to make customs tasks available to every Ant
project, ie. that we do not have to redeclare a <taskdef..> in each
project build file.

This would bring another problem : when exporting the project file, it
should say which class corresponds to which custom class.

There should also be a way to automatically download and install
unavailable taskdefs needed by  a project when you try to 'ant' it.

Seb.