ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: Possible Exec and MatchingTask Refactorings
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:15:08 GMT
At 09:56  27/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>	Being a new guy coming to Ant, however, I wonder why nesting of tags
>is not used mroe to help organize these issues. Why not have a tag like
><worklist> which can have a sequential set of sub-tasks inside it, that
>execute on that same set of files? That way Exec could always execute within
>a known context, and build.xml writers could have the freedom to choose
>MatchingTask functionality or not; exec wouldn't care. Comments?

I suspect because it becomes driven by files and implicit dependencies -
very Makefile like not very explainable for certain tasks (ie Javadoc works
with packages not files) and has a high baggae factor. While I find it easy
it is prolly because I spent years make hacking but Ant is meant to be
target driven rather than task/target/file/+various other implicit rules
like make. It is still evolving and maybe similar functionality will evolve
but putting in something like this would just make ant a java-xml version
of make. (And a lot of people don't wanna go down that path :P)

So hopefully the functionality will be present soon ... when ? I don't know
- how ? don't know that either. Feel free to make suggestions thou :P

Cheers,

Pete