ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Beginners question
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:01:23 GMT
At 08:49  26/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>

>> well depends on when you got the ant distribution. Older version simply
>> ignored modern compile so you will have to do one of following
>> * get jikes (recomended) and change compiler property to jikes
>>

>Why jikes?  It is my understanding that this is purely a java 1.1 thing.  Is
>that correct?

nope 1.2 aswell (and I assume 1.3 ????)

Why ? Speed - accuracy etc.

I compile close to 300 src files in about 4 seconds with jikes or about
90-100 seconds in classic compile. Jikes is also much more conformiant and
picks up a lot of bugs/features that classic lets through (I think there is
a compiler option for pedantic checking)

Cheers,

Pete