ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Does ant discriminate
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:35:51 GMT
At 11:57  20/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Can I use ant as a build tool for any language I write code in?

theoretically yes but in actuality it can be a little difficult. As ant is
based on the notion of tasks and you can program your own tasks in java
then it is quite possible to do anything thou you may have to actually
write some code for things not related to java and general filesystem
because no one yet has done it.

>It sounds like I can build on major platforms (UNIX/NT -how 'bout
>BeOS?).  Portability is cool.  I need to construct a software code
>control system, and some of the language is proprietary.  I have
>languages in:

BeOs maybe out depending on whether the Kaffe port ever got finished for
that platform. However any platform with java is able to run it with
relatively few problems.

Cheers,

Pete