ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: stupid newbie questions
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:12:35 GMT
At 11:57  16/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>so in an attempt to free my project from the hell that is make, i'm trying
>to get a build system setup using ant.

good :P

>first problem:  we use jdk1.3, and in the 3.1 release of ant, the
>doModernCompile method in Javac.java is empty except for a logging message
>that leads you to believe that more is being done than actually is.  as a
>stopgap measure, i copied the doClassicCompile method into the
>doModernCompile method, and it seems to function.  is there any good
>reason not to do this?  in retrospect, i'm assuming this is probably fixed
>in the cvs version, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

yup it is fixed in CVS version but you could left it the way it was and
just used classic compile because by copying the method thats exactly what
you are doing anyway :P

>srcdir is pointing to the root of our development tree (a directory called
>rcn), and destdir is pointing to the build directory.  when i run ant, it
>places all the compiled classes in build/rcn (rcn is the name of the
>project, and the name of the srcdir), and then copies all non .java files
>into build.  so the class files end up in a different directory structure
>than the other files.

okay .. the copying behaviour has been removed from compile in latest CVS
thou I haven't seen the other behaviour before. have you tried playing with
adding a / to the end of both attribues ? In any case if you get a CVS copy
this shouldn't happen (and if it does post back here).

>is there any way to simply have ant compile the .java files in place, and
>refrain from copying anything anywhere?  that's how our current makefile
>system works, and we're fine with that.

just make destdir and srcdir the same value :P

Cheers,

Pete