ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:21:39 GMT
At 08:46  15/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>How about a new task which subclasses off of javac.  Its init method calls
>super.init(), then super.execute(), then loads and generated class files
>and defines them as new tasks?
>
>Nested taskdef elements, with identical syntax to the current taskdef task,
>could be used to generate the necessary <include> statements on the javac
>and then to define the mapping between classname and task name.  Users
>could obviously add their own <include> statements if necessary.

feels like a huge work-around. It would also require copious duplication of
code from Ants other classes (ie ProjectHelper).  I know currently there is
reason not to go to imediate execution of tasks but if you were going to
put in so much effort it could be worth the effort to do it.

Current Problems:

1. it would require building an object tree
2. can't call init before any task execution starts

I don't believe removal of 2 should be a problem for as far as I see no
task relies on it's functionality. Even if it did we could move it to
target level rather than project level. Hence all Initing occurs as a
particular targte gets executed.

1. is a problem because it requires writing more code :P but if you are
going to go to the effort of rewriting a chunk of it anyway then it may be
worth the effort, no ?

BTW if I stepping on toes just tell me to back off :P.

Cheers,

Pete